Oblong folio (470x330mm), single letterpress-printed leaf (text set in two columns in landscape orientation) and four double-page engraved panoramas printed by C. Hullmandel after drawings by Stewart. Original printed wrappers, title and imprint on front wrapper, these repeated on inside of rear wrapper (in portrait orientation). Some foxing to panoramas. Wrappers a little marked and spotted, spine sometime recovered in darker paper and slightly worn at ends.
The first publication of Mary Stewart (1773-1849), an enthusiastic and early Scottish artist of panoramic views. In 1823 Stewart became Lady Elton, the second wife of Sir Abraham Elton, 5th Baronet (1755-1842), of Clevedon Court in Somerset. At Clevedon she documented the estate in drawings and lithographs, and pursued philanthropic and educational aims - a primary school in Clevedon is named after her. Also in 1823 Stewart (by then already Lady Elton) published a similar work to this one, depicting views from the top of Calton Hill. This was a more elaborate publication, published jointly by Ackermann with an engraved dedication to George IV, and the plates were available coloured, though as the colouring was attacked in the contemporary press for inaccuracy, this may have been a misstep. The Calton Hill panoramas combined her interests in landscape and philanthropy, being published 'for the benefit of the Deaf & Dumb Institution of Edinburgh', and a number of copies survive both in original state and as loose collections of plates. This earlier set of panoramas is much scarcer - COPAC locates one copy, in the NLS. Worldcat adds copies in the Huntington, Smith College, and NYPL only. There were evidently two issues, as the single letterpress leaf (containing a quotation from Canto IV of Myrmidon) exists in two entirely different settings, though nothing appears to have been changed on the plates themselves.