Small 4to, pp. 96. Modern marbled paper boards, original endpapers preserved at the rear. Somewhat darkened around the edges, a thin dampstain in gutter expanded slightly towards the rear. Early ownership inscription of James Hamilton to title-page, rear endpapers covered in further ink trials in his hand, some offsetting onto title-page of another inscription from original (now lost) flyleaf.
A condensed reprinting of this dictionary of Scottish place-names, first published in 1682 as an octavo of some 250 pages. This much slimmer volume shrinks the typeface considerably to fit the same text in less than half the space, though it also omits the dedication and letter to the reader. The physician Christopher Irvine (c.1620-1693) published on a number of subjects, and this volume topographical lexicography grew out of his editing of a similar work by Thomas Craufurd which he had published in 1664.